Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Being Thankful- The Rainbow Connection

During my trip to California this past weekend, I spent a little time in the town of Monterey. If you've never been, I highly recommend it as I would live there happily if it were located on the East Coast.  While there, I visited the Point Pinos Lighthouse.
The weather was gorgeous, which was somewhat of a surprise because rain had been forecasted.  I had not anticipated spending a sunny day in Monterey.  As my friend and I exited the lighthouse, there was a fine mist in the air though the sun still shone as brightly as it did when we entered.  When we turned the corner, there was a huge rainbow that spanned the area between the ocean and land.
I can't think of any descriptions other than stunning and spectacular and perhaps even magical.





You know me and my symbols and signs. 
  Most people see rainbows as symbols of peace, harmony and hope.
What could be a more positive symbol than a rainbow?
Rainbows make me smile. 
They make me remember that I was once young and carefree enough to go running through my neighborhood looking for the end and the pot of gold. 
They make me think that perhaps the trials and tribulations of life will be worth it in the end.

This is a photo of Pepop, myself, and my cousin Ty in the old john boat we christened The Rainbow Connection.
Yeah, we were huge Muppet fans, but perhaps there was some childish wisdom in the name.
Perhaps we knew one day we would find it.
I think I have.
And so, I leave you with my good friend Kermit to sing a song I love and listen to on a regular basis (and yes, I listen only to the Kermit the Frog version)

 

Why are there so many songs about rainbows
And what's on the other side?
Rainbows are visions, but only illusions,
And rainbows have nothing to hide.
So we've been told and some choose to believe it
I know they're wrong, wait and see.
Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection,
The lovers, the dreamers and me.
Who said that every wish would be heard and answered
When wished on the morning star?
Somebody thought of that, and someone believed it,
And look what it's done so far.
What's so amazing that keeps us stargazing
And what do we think we might see?
Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection,
The lovers, the dreamers, and me.
All of us under its spell,
We know that it's probably magic...
... Have you been half asleep? And have you heard voices?
I've heard them calling my name.
... Is this the sweet sound that calls the young sailors?
The voice might be one and the same
I've heard it too many times to ignore it
It's something that I'm s'posed to be...
Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection,
The lovers, the dreamers, and me.
Laa, da daa dee da daa daa,
La laa la la laa dee daa doo...


No comments:

Post a Comment