Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Life Interrupted

I decided to forgo my Shark Week post today because I was so stunned to learn of the death of Robin Williams.  While I admit I didn't know the man personally, he's been welcomed into my home since my childhood.

  From Mork & Mindy, which I watched religiously with my rainbow suspenders running around saying Shazbot! and Na-nu Na-nu!, to movies like Mrs. Doubtfire, Jumanji, Hook, Aladdin, Flubber, Good Will Hunting, Dead Poet's Society, Patch Adams, Night at the Museum.... I could continue but I'm sure most have seen at least one Robin Williams performance.  I've watched these over and over again.  My children have watched these, over and over again. I know he brought me and my family joy and laughter.  He brought joy and laughter to deployed troops through the USO. 

He made the world laugh.

But behind all of that laughter, was a man in pain.  And that's really what I want to touch upon.  Depression kills. WHO estimates 340 million people worldwide have depression.  It's debilitating.  It sucks your hope away.  It takes away your motivation to do things, things you love to do, things that if you could just get yourself to do them might make you feel a little better.  It causes physical pain in the form of aching muscles, back pain, indigestion and headaches.  Many suffer in silence, portraying a happy outward persona when emotionally they are anything but happy.  Some attempt to self medicate and slip into the dangerous waters of addiction.  Chances are, you know someone who is suffering, whether you actually know it or not. 

With that in mind, remember that everyone is fighting their own battles.  No one is perfect, everyone has a story.  And one conversation, one kind word or gesture could be the thing that saves someone's life.  And if you're someone who suffers from depression, you aren't alone even if you feel that way, you really aren't.  There are people who can help.

The National Suicide Hotline Number is 1-800-273-8255
The call is free, confidential and answered by a trained counselor.
Go to this site Suicide Prevention Online for information on how to get help or how to report suicidal comments you encounter on social media. 

Get help.
Speak up. 
If not for yourself or someone you know or love, do it in gratitude for a man who spent his life making people feel good even when inside he was suffering.

"Carpe diem, seize the day boys, make your lives extraordinary"

No comments:

Post a Comment