Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Living Driftwood



I love taking photos of this tree at Aaron's Beach.  Every time I see it I think of it as living driftwood.  I imagine one day I will show up at the beach and find it gone- washed out to sea or thrown haphazardly on the shore line. 

I can't say exactly what draws me to it.  Aesthetically the bark is amazing: smooth and graying and twisting.

I think honestly, it appeals to me because I see myself in this tree.  I am this tree.  Standing stoic heedless of the blazing sun, the pounding surf, the impending storm.  Maybe standing a little defiantly because of the impending storm. And perhaps a little weary of facing storms too. 

But despite all the storms its faced, it still stands tall.  And its more beautiful and richer for having faced the storms it has.


1 comment:

  1. Yes, your ARE that tree Jamie, and a few of the reasons why I just love you too pieces! And maybe just cause you're a little like me!
    Awesome shots GF!
    <><

    ReplyDelete