Saturday, January 8, 2011

Limited Access

One of the things I remember from my high school English class is the lesson on film iconography.  Basically, it's a lesson in symbols and what they signify.  Someone walking up a flight of stairs signifies a change, someone standing in a doorway signifies a transition and viewing something through a window shows limited access to whatever is on the other side. 
I consciously thought about the symbolism when I took this shot this summer.  I liked how the inside of the house was so dark and the outside so bright in contrast.  A lot like how I feel most days: limited, trapped and utterly miserable.  We won't even touch upon the stress or the inevitable gorging of whatever candy bar I can find.  But despite that, part of me knows there is a light at the end of the tunnel, or on the other side of the glass.  Eventually I'll come out on the other side and things will hopefully be brighter and easier and certainly happier. 
In the meantime, someone pass the bottle of wine, and while you're at it, grab a big rock.

3 comments:

  1. It's a great shot and goes well with your words. You will indeed come out on the other side even if it feels like it's taking forever. Just put your head down and plow forward. You will feel better, gradually, and come out a new you.

    In the meantime, I have wine, candy bars and lots of rocks, plus a great big view of Queens Creek to help ease the transition. Come on down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. CBW- I am hoping to have a weekend in February to head that way. A lot depends on the weather as I'm not too keen on driving across the Harry W. Nice Bridge with ice or snow....

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's all gonna work out! It always does. Now when do you want that wine?
    <><

    ReplyDelete