Thursday, July 11, 2013

The Couch

For my entire life, this was the couch in our place in Deltaville.
I spent a lot of nights sleeping on that couch as did my cousin.
It always reminded me of the curtains Scarlett O'Hara made her dress out of.
Okay, so it reminds me more of the Carol Burnett version of the Scarlett O'Hara dress made out of curtains, though now I see it actually is the wallpaper it reminds me of.
Either way, it's ugly.
When the tornado hit, there was some hope that the couch had been sucked up and was halfway to Delaware,
but no such luck.
It was definitely on its way out,
and this past weekend was the time.
Last lounge before the dump
Despite the fact that the couch is indeed ugly,
it has been part of my life for, well, my whole life.
And I'd be lying if I said I wasn't slightly sad about it going
or that I didn't take a piece of fabric to remember it by.
 Or that I didn't video tape it being tossed into the dumpster and crushed.
The woman operating the dump laughed and laughed.
Asked if she should play Taps.



1 comment: