Friday, March 18, 2011

Golf Carts

Everyone is complaining about the youth of today.  They're lazy, they expect to get things with little to no work, and they have a sense of entitlement.  I think I have discovered the reason why: Golf Carts.

When I was a kid, I walked everywhere I needed to go.  Sometimes there would be enough room in the truck to bring my bike on vacation, and then I got to ride my bike everywhere.  Either way, I got where I was going by my own power.  Want to go up to the playground at the community center and play basketball or tennis? You walked and you had to actually carry your basketball/tennis racket/sports equipment.  You didn't ride on a golf cart equipped with a basket that held all your various sporting needs.  And don't even get me started on the point that 12 year olds aren't allowed to get driver's licenses for a very good reason.  So don't let them travel on a road in a golf cart.
And while I understand the idea of the elderly driving a golf cart to get around because they aren't able to drive a car anymore, I also question the good sense in letting someone who can't drive a car on a road, drive a golf cart where pedestrians walk. 
Then again, I've started saying things like "I'm watching my sodium intake" and once you start saying that and complaining about the youth of today, well, might as well get on the waiting list at your local nursing home and go buy some Geritol.

And, no, my children are not impervious to the pull of golf carts. After seeing one for sale, The Brat Child (at the prompting of Big Sis) said, "Hey, Mom, let's get that wittle car!"  I of course responded with every parent's standby, "Are your legs broken?"  This caused him to fall quiet in contemplation.
Later that afternoon, I suggested we all take a walk.  The Brat Child looked at me and said matter-of-factly, "No, Mom, my eggs is broken."
Sometimes I beat my head against the wall and wish I didn't have such a smart 4 year old get frustrated.

3 comments:

  1. He's an imp. I am with you on the if you cant/no longer drive a car how the hell can you/would you drive a golf cart .. or a tractor or a motorized lawnmower... walking is the best exercise there is and its easier to take photos when you are mogating ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummm... its not the golf carts over here - but it is the electric Razor scooters, etc. Pretty sure I had walked the entire town of Catonsville before I was 12.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HIs eggs is broken! That child is something else.

    Pass the Geritol.

    ReplyDelete