Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Resolve

re-solve
  1. v. settle or find a solution to (a problem, dispute, or contentious matter).
  2. v.  decide firmly on a course of action.
  3. n. firm determination to do something.
 It's that time of year when people write out lists of things they want to change in the coming new year.  
I'd wager that most people start out with good intentions and 
plan on following through with all of their resolutions.  
Sadly, most give up and fail to accomplish anything on their list.  
Despite the fact that I fall into the never-accomplish-anything-on-my-resolution-list category, 
I figured I'd give it another go.  
So, thinking that sharing my list might make me more inclined to stick to it 
(the whole accountability thing), 
I'm posting it here.

Being Healthier:
  1. Walk at least 2 miles 4 days a week (I'm hoping to make it 7 days a week, but I think 4 is more realistic).
  2. Go back to a Low Carb/Good Carb diet (like South Beach).  I did this once and lost a lot of weight and just felt better over all.  But I'm a stress eater, I'm stressed and planning meals and grocery shopping is a pain.  No excuses though, time to get back to something healthier.
  3. Lose 30 pounds. I'm pretty sure that if I manage #1 and #2 this one will be no problem.  
  4. Drink more water. 
  5. Cut back on the amount of soda I drink.  I like iced tea and green tea so I should work on drinking that.  Plus, making iced tea is cheaper than buying soda.  And it really bothers me that I drink something that is used to clean the corrosion on car batteries.  
  6. Find time to meditate at least 3 times a week.  Ideally it should be every day, but I'm being realistic as meditation is not so easy with a 7 year old about. 
Finances:
  1. Save some money using the 52 week challenge.
  2. Put at least $25 per week in my savings account (hopefully more than that per week, but a minimum of $25).
  3. Cook my own breakfast each morning- don't eat out (this is also a healthy thing).
  4. Pack my lunch at least 4 out of 5 days.  I'd say all 5 days, but again, I'm trying to be realistic.  This could potentially save me about $200 a month.  That's a lot.  In fact it's a car payment. 
  5. Eat dinner out only 2-3 times a month.  This is going to be a tough one.  When you've gotten into the habit of eating out on a regular basis, it's hard to break that habit.  Who wants to deal with planning meals or doing the dishes (the cooking I'm okay with).
  6. Pay off the Credit Cards.  Tough, but I've already locked them away in the safe, and I have a plan. 
Organization:
  1. Go through my 7 year old's toys to see what can be donated.  He wasn't too receptive to the idea, but he has more than enough to play with (and doesn't even play with it all).  I'm thinking of making this something that is done yearly  before Christmas- you know, making room for the new stuff.
  2. Clean out my clothes.  I know there are things that are in my closet that haven't seen the light of day in 2 years or more.  I obviously have no need for them, but someone else might.
  3. Plan out meals a month at a time.  I know I can do this because I have done it.  It makes live easier when you do- you save money on groceries, save time on shopping and on cooking (especially if you use a slow cooker on a regular basis).
  4. Organize recipes.  I have a few, some written down, some saved on Pinterest, but I'd like them all in one place like a recipe box.  
  5. Declutter in general. Find a better way to organize mail, school papers, product manuals, warranties, etc.
  6. Cleaning the basement and the items you have in storage there.  This includes my whole family and a trip to the dump.  I'm hoping to get my items better stored and organized at a minimum and help my parents and siblings get rid of the junk as a bigger goal.
General:
  1. Get to the point where I am blogging 4-5 days a week.  That's tough since I have several blogs, but something I have been continuously working towards.  
  2. Learn to use my DSLR camera in something other than automatic mode.
  3. Take some time to go take photos with the DSLR camera not in automatic mode at least every other week. Ideally I'd like to take a trip somewhere closeby to take photos at least once a month.
  4. Start writing a book.  Doesn't matter what the genre is or the content or that there's an expectation to finish, just start.
  5. Build 2 polytunnels for growing greens in the cold winter months.  
  6. Plant a more efficient vegetable garden. 
  7. Plan out time for canning to be faster and more productive.
  8. Plan weekly family night. Either planning on playing a game or watching a movie or some type of outing like bowling or mini-golf- and sticking to it.
  9. Plan weekly or bi-weekly date night. Because alone time with the one you love is important and sometimes life is so busy you forget.  So weekly is the main goal, but building to that is okay.  And date night doesn't mean that you have to spend money.  Could be dinner at home and a movie or going for a walk or a hike.
That for the most part is my list.  
My goals and resolutions for 2014.  
Throughout the year I'll check back regarding my list to see 
how I'm doing or 
if I'm doing.  

Ring out the old, ring in the new,
Ring, happy bells, across the snow:
The year is going, let him go;
Ring out the false, ring in the true.

~Alfred, Lord Tennyson, 1850

Be at War with your Vices, 
at Peace with your Neighbours, 
and let every New-Year find you a better Man.  
~Quoted in Benjamin Franklin's 1755 Poor Richard's Almanac, December

No comments:

Post a Comment